free books

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Gout by Robert Brown




I just read the AARP article " 9 Types of Medication Older Adults Should Use with Caution" and I would like to share with you how I see it relating to gout.

At the top of this list of medications is NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs).  Medications such as Piroxicam (brand name Feldene) and Indomethacin (Indocin) are NSAIDs.

These types of medications are sometimes prescribed to persons suffering with gout.  I use to suffer with gout and have taken Indomethacin which was a very effective medication for me.  I now have my gout flare ups under control and I will talk more about that later.

Taking NSAID medications can increase the risk of bleeding in the stomach or colon, increase blood pressure, affect your kidneys and may affect your heart.

Stay with me because I have not gotten to the worse part yet.

If you suffer with gout and have a heart condition (or any condition where you have to take a blood thinner such as asprin or Plavix) and your gout flares up, taking a NSAID medication to reduce or eliminate the gout pain just increased your risk of stomach or colon bleeding.

My brother suffered with gout and also had a serious heart condition.  He had to take the blood thinners because of his heart.  One day after having stomach surgery, his gout flared up and he could not take any of the NSAIDs because it would cause internal bleeding.  The gout effected his hands, feet, elbows, ankles and knees all at the same time. I can only imagine the pain he was in.

My brother died because of other complications but could only escape the gout pain threw death.

There are many alternate ways to get your gout under control and you will find some of them on this blog.


Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and/or believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment